I’ve been keeping a list of news reports I’ve heard/read that cause me to pause and wonder what the heck is happening to integrity and good ol’ fashion common sense. Believe it or not.….
1. One in five ADULTS receive an allowance from their parents. Seriously? I’m not talking about temporarily lending a helping hand on occasion if they’re in a bind. But according to this Huffington Post article, nearly 20% of adults live with their parents and receive financial assistance. A Pew Institute survey found eight out of every ten 25– to 34-year-old adults who live with their parent say they don’t have enough money to support the lifestyle they want. Hmmmm…perhaps Sally and Johnny need to adjust their lifestyle expectations downward just a little bit. Let’s hope Mom and Dad aren’t on a fixed income.
2. Ahhh, the annual Easter Egg Hunt. A time-honored tradition when children search and discover hidden eggs. Unfortunately, the annual Easter Egg hunt in Bancroft Park, a historic area of Colorado Springs, has been canceled due to the aggressive and inappropriate behavior…of the parents. Evidently last year, parents hopped over the kids-only boundary rope to make sure their child didn’t “fail” in getting their fair share of eggs. Parents were scooping up the eggs to ensure a successful hunt for their child. Is this what parenting has evolved into in our culture? Where is the decorum? Where is the common sense? Are we raising kids who can’t fend for themselves in something as simple as an egg hunt? Is it “success at all costs”? I bet these are the same kids that will grow up to be adults living with their parents and getting an allowance.
3. This one is a real eye-opener…and probably a political divider. Up and coming filmmaker Alexandra Pelosi, daughter of infamous Nancy Pelosi, made a short video interviewing welfare recipients in New York City. Let’s just say the responses to her questions speak volumes. If there was ever an argument for massive reform of our entitlement programs, this is it.
- “I’m here trying to get some Obama bucks. That‘s what I’m doing, trying to get some Obama money.”
- “Tell me why you like Obama.” — “Because he gives me stuff.”
- “When was the last time you actually worked?” — “About half a decade.”
- “You’re a perfectly healthy young man, why aren’t you working right now?” — “My background. Once you go to jail it’s hard to get a job.” (he’s the only one interviewed who has a reasonable explanation)
- “Why should my tax dollars be going to you?” — “My ancestors came here to help build this place — my ancestors, slaves.”
- “Do you really want to work, or do you just want to get a free check?” — “I just want to get a free check.”
- “I’m here to get a check … whatever they’ve got to offer, it’s not like they’ve got a checklist … I’m just here to get what I can get.”
Like I’ve said before…we’re experiencing the death of common sense.